[aklug] disabling SMTP AUTH entirely in Exim?

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Jun 23 2015 - 08:38:04 AKDT

Anybody know of a way to disable SMTP AUTH *completely* functionality in exim?

I've got a server that I want to just do MX duty, and don't need the
hordes doing SMTP AUTH bruteforcing 24/7. Yes, I can throttle them,
but there's zero need to do SMTP AUTH at all on an MX_only server, so
I just want to sidestep the whole thing. All the stuff online is
people asking how to not require it for certain netblocks, but that's
not my use case.

From my research:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch-smtp_authentication.html

... I know that I can disable them at compile time by doing this (or
the equivalents for whatever are supported):

AUTH_CRAM_MD5=no
AUTH_PLAINTEXT=no

... but it's not a server that I have that level of control over -
can't recompile Exim there.

I suspect that I could do it by creatively modifying the
"fixed_login", "fixed_plain", etc. clauses in the config, but haven't
experimented yet.

Any ideas?

Royce