[aklug] Re: Feasibility of Business Concept

From: WestonandSuzy Howard <westonandsuzyhoward@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 03 2015 - 09:01:37 AKDT

Royce brings up some good points. Since opinions are like elbows and most
people (but not everybody) have one, here is half a pennies worth of
thoughts:

-Sites like Gainsaver sell completely tested and refurbished laptops and
desktops for verry reasonable prices. So you have some stiff competition.

-Linux users generally are the more frugal sort, and often will not pay for
a computer with linux as they will just find old computers and do the
install themselves.

-Laptops often have dead batteries, which are expensive for you to replace,
and make them undesireable to your customers.

-Windows users are generally afraid to try linux. It just sounds scary to
them.

I don't want to stiffle good business ideas, so here are some positive
thoughts, so we end on a good note:

-Libraries and schools often sell computers in a lot by the pallet. In fact
there is an open bid for FNSB right now. If you got 50+ computers dirt
cheap, then you may be able to turn a buck on them.

-You may have more luck porting Replicant, UrukDroid, or Cryogen to cell
phones and tablets with embeded software. These can be highly desired by
those who want them, but are afraid to do it themselves. You can get lists
from these sites for working models, and only pick up those models when you
find them cheap.

-If you get the computers cheap enough, or even free, than it just might
work, but you may spend more time than your money/hour is worth.

Hopefully that doesn't sound too discouraging, but perhaps spawn new points
to consider.

-Weston

On Apr 3, 2015 7:46 AM, "Royce Williams" <royce@tycho.org> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 7:30 AM, Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com>
wrote:
> I know that there a...
Heh. I'll only use my non-scathing reproaches, then. :-)

Kidding aside - interesting! My first thoughts:

- Source the refurbishing locally to avoid shipping. Find a way to
get into that discard chain - Total Reclaim, etc.

- This would also let you operate locally in general. Local web site,
plus you could colocate with someone in a related market (like fixing
laptops ;-) ).

- Think Craigslist. Your market may be just such people: looking to
recycle/reuse/conserve.

- Even if sourced locally, it may be tricky to break even. Compare
your projected asking price with the price of the most obvious
substitute good: new equipment. Also consider the difference in
electricity cost to the end user.

- Unless you can tap into the "people who just want something to read
email" market, your market may be too small. Many of them are not on
Craigslist, and see computers as commoditized. Reach them, and you
might have a market.

- This list could help you - not only to evangelize, but to supply.
When I do geek work on the side, I often receive (for free!) a retired
computer in return that is perfectly fine for Linux. There are only
so many stray cats that I can adopt, though, and many of them end up
being Totally Reclaimed. :-) Your fellow geeks can be part of your
raw-material supply chain. :-)

Royce

with 'unsubscribe' in the message ...