[aklug] Alternatives to google maps

From: Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com>
Date: Mon Mar 23 2015 - 04:53:06 AKDT

I don't like to use google search or map services, because google is
not TOR friendly (they filter out a lot of TOR nodes). So I was
interested in alternatives to google maps. These are the only ones I
am familiar with, in order of usefulness:

1. maps.yahoo.com.

2. duckduckgo.com. This is my preferred search engine. If you type in
an address, it will bring up a map constructed with mapbox and
openstreet map. Does not seem to do directions, however.

3. wikimapia.org. A wikipedia-like version of a maps system, where
users input the data. An interesting idea, but there seems to be a lot
of holes in the data for locations of businesses.

Open to other suggestions, except probably ones that have the word
"Microsoft" in them.