[aklug] Re: Help when repairing computers

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2015 - 22:29:36 AKST

I use Trinity rescue Kit (TRK) probably on 9 out of every 10 computers on
my work bench. I run a VM hosting TRK as a pxe server and boot via network
about half the time I use cd or USB. I have a SOP of using TRK to mount an
smb share and rsync for every single backup prior to reimaging. That is by
far my favorite Linux distro, bar none.

Every tool bag I have for onsite work has at least 3 TRK discs as well as a
custom xubuntu live cd I made a few years ago if I am feeling lazy and want
to wait for a GUI. I rarely use the AV tools. I use the Windows password
reset very frequently. The description on that page says it is for admin of
Windows systems, but use it to repair Linux systems all the time, even
Macs. I keep an ISO on any VM host I maintain. I have on at least 4
occasions team an entire office off of a TRK disc as an emergency file
server.

I use clonezilla on occasion, usually when my winpe and ghost combo from 10
years ago fails me, which is pretty common with Windows 7+ modern bios. I
expect to use it more often.

JP
907-748-2200