[aklug] Re: Xubuntu bloat 14.04

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Nov 20 2014 - 10:43:05 AKST

* Mike <alaskabarsalou@gmail.com> [141120 08:18]:
> Well, I'd hoped that this wouldn't happen, but the folks at Ubuntu
> have decided that one CD-R isn't big enough to carry an install image
> of Xubuntu.
>
> The alternate install CD is no longer maintained.
>
> Sure, I can use the minimal install CD, but that requires an internet
> connection and a bunch more time.
>
> It sure is disappointing, but I guess that is progress... :(
>
> I'm looking at customizing an Xubuntu install and creating a CD from
> that, but not sure I want to spend the time.

  I use Xubuntu 12.04 on 3 of our netbooks and Lubuntu 14.04 on
  another one. The lubuntu 14.04 install is still small enough to
  burn onto a CD.

  Xubuntu could be put on a usb stick however. I've installed that
  way before, but I have had mixed results. Perhaps that is because
  I'm more used to installing with a CD.

  I'm indifferent to either xubuntu or lubuntu, because I just
  install fluxbox as an alternate desktop and use that for the most
  part. Even though I'm used to OS X, I have still not gotten used
  to Unity, I don't care for it.

--
Tim