[aklug] Re: Need some help finding audio software

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 05 2014 - 06:07:44 AKST

On Wed Nov 05 2014 at 4:48:07 AM Jim Wadell <jim.wadell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello from Medellin.
> I use recorded (mp3 and ogg) lessons for my English students, listen,
> then say. I want to set up a program they can use which will re-record
> the lesson audio, then their response. The idea is that they can then
> listen to the composite and hear their own accent, mistakes, etc. I will
> then build a USB stick with a minimal Linux distro, the software, and
> the lesson files.

Jim,

Once I wrote an mp3 logging system using sox, lame, and xdialog. Sounds
like you want to play and record simultaneously. This is totally doable.

The part that could be tricky is dealing with different kinds of hardware.
There are lots of variables re: mixers, I/O ports, etc.

I'm almost tempted to recommend that you make it portably run in a browser,
if it weren't for the fact that dealing with browser audio is also fraught.

jermudgeon