[aklug] OT: Ham Radio License Renewal

From: Christopher Howard <ch.howard@zoho.com>
Date: Tue Nov 04 2014 - 18:34:44 AKST

10 years ago I got an operators license for ham radio. Unfortunately,
I was never able to pursue the hobby because the equipment is
expensive and I have never been able to make enough money to afford a
serious go at it. (After about 8 years of trying to earn a living in
I.T., I'm still broke, but that's another story...)

My license is about to expire. I'd like to renew (preferably in the
cheapest way possible) in the hopes that maybe one day I'll be able to
afford it. I got a notice from ARRL, saying they would renew it for
me, but only if I sign up for a $39/year membership. Got another ad
from "Amateur Radio Service, The W5YI Vec, Inc." saying they would
renew it if I sent them $7 and a form containing a lot of my personal
info. Is the W5YI a legit option? Or is there some other way I
should go about renewing...?