[aklug] easy backup software

From: John Heim <john@johnheim.com>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2014 - 12:30:13 AKDT

I am involved with this non-profit. There are a couple of us maintaining
the same server (you know how that kind of stuff goes with non-profits).
And we discovered today that two of us had written backup scripts. He
put his backup files in /root/backups/. I put mine in
/usr/local/backup/. He ran his script by putting it in /etc/cron.d/. I
ran mine by putting it in /etc/cron.daily.

I think we should just use a standard package instead of writing our
own. Then if some new guy comes along and writes his own, that's
definately a mistake. Any recommendations for backup software? I would
like it to make a tar.gz daily of a list of files and directories. If it
can exclude files and folders in another list, that would be good. And
it has to automatically rotate the backups. Finally, if it can take
credentials for a remote rsync or sftp server, that would be good and
copy the files there, that would be good.

email: john@johnheim.com skype: john.g.heim