[aklug] Re: RouterBoard

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 26 2014 - 08:31:31 AKDT

+1 for Ubiquiti

 Haven't gotten my mitts on their wifi or switch/router gear yet -
I've installed 5 pairs (all the smaller 11x18) of these however:

 http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#airgrid

 The M5 has a nice range with decent goodput. Claim is 30 kilometers -
suspect that's for the bigger set. I have one radio shot that measures
.3 miles (over 400 meters) and the burn in potential was 40 mbs.
Imagine stretching an Ethernet cable over 400 meters. Curious as to
what protocol it's using when the packets hit the module - suspect
they're getting encapsulated with some type of ppp protocol before
they're flung out into the nether... :) At one point I had 60 clients
on the other end without a hiccup.

 It took me less than 20 minutes to provision a set - all I needed was
a browser (yeah yeah - I miss the cisco ios commandline) to setup the
point to point with encryption. The built-in utilities are just
outstanding. I've remoted into one pair before and rescanned the
spectrum using their airView and found a better channel to park the
set on. Easy peasy. With Precise Puppy no less. :)

 And they were only $69 each - not including pole and cable. Also I
recommend their tough cable. I learned my lesson trying to substitute
monoprices shielded cable (lightening protection.)

 Viable option if you're tired of going fetal with the Cisco licensing
on some lower infrastructure. Haven't found a good substitute for the
core/distribution that's as bulletproof open source-wise.
Cisco/Dell/Juniper seem to have their act together there.

 Aaaand I may have gone way off topic...

 +1 for Ubiquiti

 Have a good day team!