[aklug] psimulator2

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Jun 24 2014 - 06:41:25 AKDT

Wanted to mention a nifty program I found:

https://code.google.com/p/psimulator/

It is a network simulator, with a nice graphical interface, built on
Java for portability. It emulates Linux, Cisco, and PC systems (i.e., a
small subset of the network commands of each) and allows you to insert
them into the network, and give them commands over built-in console or
external telnet application. You can watch the packets move back and
forth between hosts, represented graphically.

The command subset supported right now is pretty small, supporting
only static host config, static routing, and pnat. (I think the newest
version supports DHCP and DNS also.) So, you definitely won't learn
enough for a CCNA — but it might be helpful for a Net+. Supposedly, you
can connect your virtual network to your real one, though I haven't
given that a try.