[aklug] How to switch from Legacy BIOS to EFI?

From: Lee Brumbaugh <lbrumbaugh@gmail.com>
Date: Tue May 20 2014 - 14:30:17 AKDT

Has anyone here converted a legacy GRUB boot to a EFI GRUB boot? Any tips
on how to do it?

The long version: I bought a Chromebook C720P. It's decent hardware as it
has 2 GBs of RAM, 32GB SSD drive, touchscreen, and a Haswell process so
gets good battery life. All that being said, I enabled "developer" mode
which allows another OS to be installed on it, USB boot, and Legacy mode.
Following instructions online, I got Xubuntu running decently on the laptop
and wiped the ChromeOS. There's some tweaks and such to get the touchpad
working in Linux, but it's all fairly well documented and straight
forward. It boots in about 15 seconds which is nice. The one little
hiccup is that to get it to boot to Legacy mode to load GRUB is that you
have to push Ctrl-L when you turn it on. So what I'm trying to figure out
is if there's a way to get GRUB working in EFI instead.

Thanks,

*Lee Brumbaugh*