[aklug] Re: OT DNS and Domain Registration question

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 20:25:16 AKDT

Mike B. said it well -- short and sweet. But I still want to rant a bit.
:-)

I concur 100% that there is *zero* technical reason for either a web
designer or web developer (two different types of geek) to have
administrative control over the domain itself. It sometimes happens, but
it is by no means technically necessary. The power to push files to the
server, change server configuration, and even make DNS moves/adds/changes
can all be delegated without any change to the domain registration itself.

In fact, if they continue to insist that there is a technical requirement,
then they should have no problem explaining it *in writing*, in precise
technical terms. And if they think that it's too technical for you to
understand, tell them that the collective AKLUG "we" would be more than
happy to translate. ;-)

The fact that they either 1) think that they have to have it, or 2) want to
convince you that they do ... is a very, very bad sign either way.

I've seen web toads do this so that they can squat on domains -- to
basically extort payment from non-technical business owners. But they
shouldn't need to. The terms of the contract should clearly outline
deliverables and SLAs, so that everyone is clear on what "done" looks like,
so that the path to payment is clear.

Royce