[aklug] OT DNS and Domain Registration question

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Wed May 07 2014 - 14:11:47 AKDT

I have a client that is hiring a new developer to design a new website.
However, the new developer is demanding that the domain be transferred, and
refuses to allow me (the contracted IT person for the client) to set dns
records to point to their services.

I have gotten the advice from several colleagues and friends in the
industry, but I would like to get some non-biased replies. I will not state
my opinion either way.

The crux of the question is this:

1. Is there any technical reason why a web developer would require a domain
be transferred to their account to do website design? Specifically, design
a website and promote it with various SEO and submission practices.

2. What is the risk of the client transferring the domain from the current
registrar reseller, with whom they have an established relationship, when
the current registrar reseller has volunteered to make any DNS changes the
developer requires?

Thanks, I hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers with the off-topic-ness.
BTW, the current host is Linux, and I am sending this email from a linux
laptop, if that satisfies ;-)

907-748-2200JP Technical <http://www.jptechnical.com/>helpdesk@jptechnical.com