[aklug] systemd and upstart

From: Mike <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon May 05 2014 - 14:42:52 AKDT

So because we started talking about systemd and its current
alternative upstart and of course sysv init, I started poking around.

Since I'm using Ubuntu, a good portion of the scripts are using
upstart, but there is still a mix of sysv init scripts as well.

Supposedly there is some sort of integration, but I've found it isn't
as tight as someone might expect.

For example, I have a service that I'd like to start just before
sendmail starts.

But because the sendmail scripts are sysv and my service uses upstart,
there doesn't seem to be a good way to figure that out.

So now I'm in the process of making a bridge script to basically
return the service status from upstarts perspective.

I could modify the sysv init script to emit an event, and that seems
interesting too.

Anyone accomplish something of this sort?

Mike B.