[aklug] Re: systemd pushback

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu May 01 2014 - 15:59:08 AKDT

I really like systemd.. but not as a desktop user yet.

As a web and database developer I have a lot of appreciation for event
driven init services that can keep services alive as part of their core
process as well as take on some security and chain-of-event processing that
helps let everything fall in to place.

I use automation software like Salt to do a lot of things... but it falls
down in a few areas concerning early boot scenarios. Systemd is helping me
a lot with encrypted volume support and launching a myriad of services with
specific command line arguments after volumes are mounted. Take for
instance MongoDB. You actually have lots of different daemons that can be
used to help deal with clusters.. the sharding daemon, the config daemon,
and the database handler daemon. Two of these share the same binary. I
can either fudge up an initscript to deal with this OR I can do some simple
declarations with systemd.

There is a bit of supervision fluff that is not built in.. but it does
simple process supervision well enough.

One thing I am dying to eventually have working and tested is per user
systemd configurations.