[aklug] Re: Heartbleed ssl vulnerability

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2014 - 14:03:45 AKDT

Trivial to exploit, does not require attacker to be in the middle,
dump raw memory from a remote server, not detectable at the SSL server
level (but can be detected by Snort now):

http://vrt-blog.snort.org/2014/04/heartbleed-memory-disclosure-upgrade.html

For a lot of folks, since the OpenSSL that comes with your base OS is
often pretty entwined in stuff and harder to upgrade, being older
(before March 2012) might be a blessing.

I believe that the Ubuntu and/or Debian patches simply disable support
for heartbeat, which I've heard may affect SChannel-using Win32 users,
so take that with a grain of salt.

And the bug was introduced in 1.0.1 in March 2012. It's hard to say
who else knew about it, for how long.

Here's the CVE:

http://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA14-098A

... and this StackExchange thread has some good info:

http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/55076/what-should-a-website-operator-do-about-the-heartbleed-openssl-exploit

One of the original researchers says that it's unlikely that private
keys would be disclosed, but I would err on the side of caution.
After it's patched, I would change passwords, reissue certs, terminate
any existing sessions, etc.

Really, really bad.