[aklug] Re: DynDNS no longer free

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Apr 08 2014 - 06:13:39 AKDT

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 12:18 AM, Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org> wrote:

> Am I missing something? I run Linux and other things to do things locally
> and frankly don't give two shits about what happens in outer space. Should
> I shed a tear about DynDNS? I've been on this list for about a year and
> really like everybody here - but there seems to be a bent towards network
> shit that I could live without. Just say'n. ;)

Generally speaking, because this list is relatively low traffic, and
because the list of folks who are interested in Linux in Alaska has
strong overlap with general Alaskan geekiness, we tend to use the list
as a way to reach out to our geek circle. The list membership has
basically self-selected for that kind of environment.

Theoretically, questions like this should be prefaced with something
like "this is semi-OT", but we're pretty mellow about that here as
long as it's geeky in nature. We definitely tend to apologize if it's
a Windows question out of sheer embarrassment, but the fact of the
matter is that we can often get a good answer to those questions here,
too.

We (or at least I) do tend to try to gently sunset any threads that
turn political, though. :-)

In this particular case, since specific technical questions cascade
from choosing a dynamic DNS provider (is it compatible with my distro,
ddclient issues, etc.), I think that this question was semi-topical.
Just my $0.02.

Royce