[aklug] Re: Dumb newbie question - download security

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 03:42:59 AKDT

Greg, not a dumb question at all, and not just for newbs. I suspect
that most of us play loose with downloads sometimes. Some random
thoughts:

1. Downloading source from two or more independent mirrors, and making
sure both sets of signatures and checksums are valid and match, is a
good idea. This technique mitigates mirror compromise, but does not
mitigate upstream author compromise. Mirrors that add their own
crapware wrappers (c|net, I'm looking at you) make this impossible and
should be avoided, IMO.

2. Keeping track of the public keys of the projects you track -- such
that you would notice if they change -- is a good idea (and man, do we
need a server-side HTTP header and browser-based PGP/checksum
extensions to automate this!). This technique can help detect author
compromise. Trusting the signature and checksum stored in the same
directory/filesystem/server as the download itself is insufficient,
because these can also be tampered with.

3. Running it through VirusTotal or Malwr probably doesn't hurt,
either. Note that more malware is performing checks to see if it's
virtualized or not, and altering its behavior accordingly (staying
dormant longer, etc.), and so may be resistant to this one. This
technique can help discover unusual library calls and
suspicious/unexpected behavior -- even in unmodified software. (Even
if the software is as intended by the author, it may do things that
you don't want it to do.)

As to the ACS compromise, I have zero knowledge of the actual controls
that ACS had in place (different part of the house), but from the
notification sent to employees (and former employees, of which I am
one) and the KTUU piece [1], it appears that ACS couldn't definitively
tell which information was exfiltrated. They have to assume worst
case. This is a strong argument for having controls in place that
leave a trail of which data went where. Some of the components of
Security Onion [2] -- strongly recommended for the security-minded (or
security-curious) -- can help here. Also, disk is relatively cheap
these days, so saving network flows for a few months (or even full
packet capture for a few rolling days) is probably also a good idea.

Royce

1. http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/personnel-information-may-have-been-compromised-at-local-carrier/24510018
2. http://blog.securityonion.net/