[aklug] Dumb newbie question - download security

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Tue Mar 11 2014 - 01:36:37 AKDT

A question about security and downloading. What, if any precautions do
folks on this list take before installing code? I'll use for example
the "Tree" command (sort of looks like an old MS-DOS Norton utility).
The website provides no CRCs and no GNUPG signatures. Do most folks
just download this stuff now days and trust the website? I'm sceptical
of anything offered without security measures, is it just my paranoia?
I would note that University files in Indiana may not be tamper proof:
https://www.privacyrights.org/data-breach-asc?order=field_breach_date_value_1&sort=desc&title=indiana

As a side note this might be of interest to some here:

February 20, 2014 Alaska Communications
Anchorage, Alaska BSR HACK

Unknown

Alaska Communications informed customers of a potential data breach on
January 27, 2014. One of the company desktop computers was infected with
a virus and subsequently sent data outside of their network. Possible
personal information compromised could have included names, addresses,
dates of birth, and Social Security numbers. The company stated they did
not see any evidence of dependent, medical, or banking information that
was compromised.

The company is offering 1 year of AllClear ID protection at no cost and
can be reached at 8-1-866-979-2593 for both AllClear Secure and AllClear
PRO services.

Any further questions or concerns about the incident there is more
information at the company's website http://www.alaskacommunications.com/

Information Source:
Vermont Attorney General