[aklug] Re: VPN on the edge firewall

From: JP <jp@jptechnical.com>
Date: Mon Feb 24 2014 - 09:12:35 AKST

+1 to Royce on this one. I have been running the pfSense firewall since the
original M0n0wall... and I have some in service over 10 years old, just
upgrade the OS and swap hardware when needed. Like all things, there is a
learning curve, but the web ui is simple and you will probably never need
another router again.

VPN on pfSense is more a matter of ram/cpu if you go with commodity
hardware. There used to be a limitation of 16 concurrent connections on a
pptp vpn, for instance, but at some point it was clarified by resource
requirement and not an arbitrary number.

Good luck, report back on your choice please.

907-748-2200JP Technical <http://www.jptechnical.com/>helpdesk@jptechnical.com