[aklug] Re: VPN on the edge firewall

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Sun Feb 23 2014 - 13:18:16 AKST

Site-to-site VPN, or road-warrior/remote-access VPN?

Either way, pfSense! :-) It's a phenomenal firewall, and also does
both IPSec and OpenVPN. GUI setup for both is pretty easy.

If site-to-site, how much bandwidth? My ALIX 2d13 board has and
onboard Geode crypto accelerator such that <10Mbit VPN should be
doable, or you can get an add-on card that will take it to 30Mbit (but
it's ~$80 eBay). If you go ALIX 2d13, it's only has 256M RAM, which
is cutting it close for pfSense, so I added a low-profile USB key as a
swap partition. It turns out that it just needs a little more that
256M of RAM, and doesn't swap very quickly/frequently, so swapfile on
USB has actually been quite fine.

My total cost including board, case, power, CF card, shipping, and a
4G USB (bought later) was less than $240. Power consumption is <12W,
which is a cost consideration as well.

Or you could repurpose a 512M+ Intel or AMD box with two NICs (or add
a NIC). Intel NICs recommended. Likely to eat more power than the
ALIX, though.

More on VPNs on pfSense:

    https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Category:VPN

I actually have a spare ALIX right now that you could try out.

Royce