[aklug] Re: Open maker night at Anchorage Makerspace

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Tue Feb 18 2014 - 13:31:16 AKST

* Dale Rooney <dale.rooney@gmail.com> [140218 13:07]:
> The new Anchorage Makerspace is hosting an open maker night tonight from 6
> to 9 pm. It's at 1406 W 33rd Ave unit A. A lot of AMS members are Linux and
> open source users and fans. If you're not sure what a makerspace is check
> out hackerspaces.org.
>
> Hope to see you there.
  I appreciate the heads up Dale, but I'd like to make a couple of
  comments:

  1)Some of us do not live in Anchorage - in my case I live in
  Palmer and don't travel regularly to Anchorage. Notice some days
  in advance would enable me to make the necessary plans.

  2)Although I've heard of "Makerspaces" I still don't know what it
  means, and if I go to to hackerspaces.org and do a work search, I
  don't find any match to the string "makerspace".

  On a related note, I am bemused by the positive connotation given
  to "hacker" at that site.

  I'll be in Anchorage tomorrow, doing a presentation to a Drupal
  Users Group of how I interface Drupal with my own python
  framework. When I made my intention known to some die-hard
  drupalists, they used the word "hacking" as if it were a
  negative... (FYI: drupal is a php-based CMS)

  Oh, and Chris, when I get that interface down, you can hook Lisp
  and Haskell into Drupal also. :) LOL

--
Tim