[aklug] Free software switching and routing

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Jan 06 2014 - 18:50:06 AKST

Hey guys, I was wondering - can you buy routers and smart switches, for
medium to large business needs, that run some kind of free software? Or
are you stuck with using proprietary Cisco and Juniper OSes? (That's the
only thing I've seen where I work.)

I know, of course, that you can turn any crappy PC into a router with
the right Linux software packages, and I've heard of about a dozen
different DIY router distros. But what about the situation where you
have lots of money to buy networking equipment, but no time to put
together custom software and hardware?

--
http://www.lugod.org/presentations/pgp/why.html