[aklug] Re: land of lisp

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Thu Nov 21 2013 - 18:57:58 AKST

On 11/21/2013 10:38 AM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> * Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [131024 07:05]:
> Of course not. But if you want some real entertainment, check out
> comp.lisp.lang. They are great on flames. Some of the most
> opinionated folks around.

I'll have to give it a try! I'm trying to join all the
Lisp/functional-programming lists I can find these days -- lately I've
been looking into the possibility of doing some part-time contract
programming.

> Autolisp was my first 'scripting language' - of course it is a
> derivative of lisp. The parenthesis thing makes the language
> parsing a breeze.
>
> My first scripting language for web programming was rebol. It is
> very lisp and Forth based. Without the parens syntax. I got turned
> on to rebol in 2000 when my neice was working on the interpreter
> development. Rebol's author is Carl Sassenrath, who developed the
> Amiga OS. C.S. had at the time an enormous amount of 'cred'.
> Compared to mental midgets like Rasmus Lerdorf (original PHP
> developer) he is a giant.
>
> Unfortunately he has not done so good a job at promoting rebol. If
> he had, there would be no PHP, it would rebol. A road not taken.
>
> Chris, with your interest in functional programming, I really
> recommend newlisp (newlisp.org) another road not taken with a tiny
> user base, but a true "Working Man's Lisp".

I'll put it on my list, though at the moment I'm pretty focused on
Common Lisp with SBCL. SBCL is pretty nice because practically all the
quicklisp libraries were made for it, and (big plus!) it has native
thread support for x86_64. Everybody else has been telling me to try
Racket. At the moment I'm just trying to get good at one system that I
like, instead of constantly trying new compilers.

> The 'Common Lisp' mavens at comp.lang.lisp really hate newlisp.
> That's actually a recommendation in my book.
>
> BTW: The 'Common Lisp' (so-call) standard is nothing like Ansi C
> in conformity. It is actually kind of a joke. Your common lisp
> code in (say SBCL) may not work in a different Common Lisp runtime
> environment.
>
> The really cool thing about lisplike languages is that code and
> data can be use interchangeably.....
>
> And of course, we have all heard of Clojure. Lisp for the web
> based on Java. Only one thing wrong with Clojure. Based on Java.

I was thinking about looking at Clojure or Erlang, because there seems
to quite a few jobs for them. So little time...