[aklug] Re: land of lisp

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Thu Nov 21 2013 - 10:38:40 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [131024 07:05]:
> WAIT! No flame bait or political stuff this time!
  Of course not. But if you want some real entertainment, check out
  comp.lisp.lang. They are great on flames. Some of the most
  opinionated folks around.

> Just wanted to point out this nifty book I've been reading, and the Web
> site that advertises it:
>
> http://landoflisp.com/
>
> Basically, it is a book that aims to revive interest in Lisp, by showing
> all the cool programming concepts built into it or commonly used by
> Lispers. Along the way you build little text-based games, such as an
> interactive fiction story. The code examples are made for CLISP, but
> I've used SBCL so far and haven't had any trouble.
  Autolisp was my first 'scripting language' - of course it is a
  derivative of lisp. The parenthesis thing makes the language
  parsing a breeze.

  My first scripting language for web programming was rebol. It is
  very lisp and Forth based. Without the parens syntax. I got turned
  on to rebol in 2000 when my neice was working on the interpreter
  development. Rebol's author is Carl Sassenrath, who developed the
  Amiga OS. C.S. had at the time an enormous amount of 'cred'.
  Compared to mental midgets like Rasmus Lerdorf (original PHP
  developer) he is a giant.

  Unfortunately he has not done so good a job at promoting rebol. If
  he had, there would be no PHP, it would rebol. A road not taken.

  Chris, with your interest in functional programming, I really
  recommend newlisp (newlisp.org) another road not taken with a tiny
  user base, but a true "Working Man's Lisp".

  The 'Common Lisp' mavens at comp.lang.lisp really hate newlisp.
  That's actually a recommendation in my book.

  BTW: The 'Common Lisp' (so-call) standard is nothing like Ansi C
  in conformity. It is actually kind of a joke. Your common lisp
  code in (say SBCL) may not work in a different Common Lisp runtime
  environment.

  The really cool thing about lisplike languages is that code and
  data can be use interchangeably.....

  And of course, we have all heard of Clojure. Lisp for the web
  based on Java. Only one thing wrong with Clojure. Based on Java.

> Also, it is full of snazzy comic art! Scroll down to the bottom of the
> above Web page to read the teaser comic book drama "LAND OF LISP:
> SECRETS OF THE SEVEN GUILDS"!
>
> On Debian, it was pretty easy to install SLIME with SBCL for emacs. So
> I've been working through it slowly with the PDF in one window and Emacs
> in another. Was around $50 for the paper book + PDF download - a little
> cheaper if you just want the digital version.
  I used to use emacs and programmed extensively in it. I moved to
  vim not because I dislike emacs - but because of 1)vim's
  ubiquitous presence in *nix and also because my hand's no long do
  well with 'chording' as opposed to vim's sequence-based extension
  paradigm.

  I originally developed my 'rsync - like' updater for my framework
  in emacs. I called it SNOT. Couldn't resist it ...

  Sorry about taking so long to reply, Chris, I just came across
  your OP buried in all the other 'stuff'.

--
Tim