[aklug] Thank you, GCI

From: Scott A. Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 06 2013 - 07:47:02 AKST

A bit off topic, but wanted to give a public shout out to GCI and its
employees. They have their critics, and I used to be among them, but they
do a lot of good as well. For any of your who have spent time in the Bush,
you understand how difficult satellite latency can be to deal with for a
techie. I live in Nome and during the maintenance window around 1:30 this
morning, GCI moved Nome off of 1970s satellite “broadband" and into the
21st century with their microwave/fiber TERRA system. My latency to
Anchorage just dropped from 600ms+ to 53ms. My throughput increased from
~2Mbit/256Kbit (on a GOOD day) to 6Mbit/2Mbit. It’s enough to make a
techie cry. I can now video chat with family, actually watch online
videos, and not feel like a third world citizen with load times of the
simplest of web pages.

Thank you, GCI.

Scott

--