[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Oct 19 2013 - 13:04:57 AKDT

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 11:01 PM, Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
> wrote:
>
> [proxies-don't-scale-to-ISP-size blurb snipped]
>
> Agreed, as long as your purpose is to save bandwidth. China and North
> Korea's entire international egresses are one giant system of proxies,
> for other reasons.
>
> But to be very clear, that's not what a Google cache is.

It may be worth pointing out here that Google (and Amazon) also run proxy
caching systems: i available on Android and Kindle, in the form of
bandwidth compression. They remotely load/preload images, for instance, and
blurp them down to you more compressed than they were originally. I think
the Kindle version might even pre-render images of a whole page.

I need not mention that there should be no expectation of privacy for
people naive enough to use these systems. But I agree: a CDN is not the
same as a proxy cache. I too ran one, back when it was profitable to do so;
but when savings dropped from 10% to 2%, I quit.

jermudgeon