[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 18 2013 - 15:11:02 AKDT

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013, Jeremy Austin wrote:

> One could argue that what Facebook facilitates is the community of the
> individual. That is, a personalized community, if such a thing is not too
> much a contradiction in terms. This would hold true only for those who have
> an active friend limit < Dunbar number. In practice, Facebook's design
> makes differentiating between types of relationships difficult ? something
> Google+ has attempted to fix.

I'd offer that facebook is the exact opposite of a real communities,
particularly because it's shallow and requires virtually no effort. No
effort == no investment == insubstantial & ephemeral.

And that's the problem with social media in general: they're so much about
the individual, i.e., *you*, that it does little more than enforce a
feedback mechanism that spirals into latent narcissism.

I see nothing of value in social media, whatsoever. If you're going to be
antisocial at least be honest and upfront about it, like the rest of us
ogres. ;-)

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die