[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu Oct 17 2013 - 23:17:54 AKDT

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM, Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net> wrote:

> On 10/17/13 10:44 PM, Christopher Brown wrote:
>>
>> The secondary point was that while the pervasive info leakage issues
>> exist, and are threats, they have nothing to do with a content engine.
>> They exist with or without and focusing on the wrong overly specific
>> thing takes the focus away from the real issues.
>
> Let me re-phrase...
>
> They have nothing to do with the the existence of a _*local*_ content
> engine.
>
> Content provider collecting too much info and misusing or leaking, yes
> that is an issue.
>
> Content provider being able to collect _more_ info due to having a local
> engine...Not an issue for the ones discussed, that would require an
> intercept type system with access to traffic not specifically destined
> for the content engine in question...A fundamentally different type of
> device/mode of operation...requiring a very different network design
> surrounding it (not something you can install my accident in anything
> larger than a home or small business network).

You're making the same point that Tom and I were both making with
Greg, but I've since realized that none of us -- not even you -- can
predict what secondary and tertiary effects are in play here. On
paper, we should all know that content caching is simply moving the
content closer. But smarter people have been wrong before. I'm just
conceding to Greg the theoretical possibility. I do agree with you,
however, that there are bigger fish to fry.

Royce