[aklug] Re: ACS Google Gateway

From: Tom Simes <simestd@netexpress.com>
Date: Fri Oct 11 2013 - 08:12:48 AKDT

On 10/10/13 16:56, Shane Spencer wrote:
> Google has an address on ACS
>
> I noticed this after a rather long split-net situation between commodity
> DSL and the rest of the Internet while I was trying to diagnose the problem.
>
> Any idea what's the what here?

Why yes, I do have a pretty good idea what's going on. ACS has a Google
Global Cache deployed within their network.

https://peering.google.com/about/faq.html

(scroll down to Google Global Cache)

In a nutshell, ACS uses a BGP peering session with the GGC node to
inform it which IP addresses are local to our network and Google uses
that data to determine which queries are eligible to be served via the
GGC node.

At the end of the day, it's all about increasing network performance and
improving the user experience by placing content closer to the
user/edge. To that end, I've always been a huge proponent of both
non-transit peering in general and CDN deployments in Alaska. As a
result, ACS hosts CDN clusters from Google, Akamai and Netflix and will
be adding another large player soon.

I've been a relatively quiet lurker here, but for those whom I haven't
met - or helped with BGP ;) I've been running carrier networks in AK
since '95 beginning with good 'ol Internet Alaska. I've been employed
by ACS as an IP core engineer since the IA acquisition in '00. That
being said, I don't speak for ACS and the data above is both public and
fairly easy to discover.

If you have more specific questions, fire away and I'll answer what I can.

<obligatory peering plug>
If you have an ASN and are in AK, at the SIX or NWAX and are not
currently peered with ACS (AS7782), please hit me up. We have a very
open non-transit peering policy!
</obligatory peering plug>

--
Tom