[aklug] AKLUG Poll: Wireless Technology Survey

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Oct 04 2013 - 09:35:25 AKDT

Greetings:

I don't know if everyone tuned out during the Netgear discussion, but I
think it would be interesting to see what the wireless demographics are,
particularly in a tech-saavy, early-adopter-prone type crowd.

To that end, can everyone where take a moment to report the following:

   a) what's the highest 802.11? spec you support
   b) for those supporting n or ac, do you have any MIMO-capable
      NICs, and what the antenna config is (2x2, 3x3, etc)
   c) what size channels are you running (20/40/80/160MHz, etc.)
      on what band(s) (2.4GHz or 5GHz)

For those of you who aren't sure, I'd be happy to look it up for you, just
send me the details of what you do know.

At the end of next week I'll report the numbers to the list. If people
volunteer what they're running on the WAP/router, I'll report that as well.

What's the point of this? Partly to see what the prevalent technology in
use is, but also to compare to the specs being trumpeted by wireless
vendors. I suspect some, if not all, are sold as being "capable" of speeds
you'll never be able to practically use, specifically because of a dearth of
clients that can actually use those modes of operation. Is this just a
marketing ploy, or future-proofing? We can find out. :-)

I was surprised to hear that the latest Macbook Pros do have 3x3 antenna
arrays and support 802.11ac. It sounds like Apple is definitely pushing the
envelope in adopting the latest wireless technologies. What about the other
vendors, though?

Participate!

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die