[aklug] Re: Speaking of GitHub and Google and Larry

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Mon Aug 19 2013 - 11:38:01 AKDT

* Bruce Hill <bruce@happypenguincomputers.com> [130819 07:11]:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 02:55:14AM -0800, Christopher Howard wrote:
> >
> > Thoughts, anyone? I thought it was a good, educational article
> > addressing an important issue. And I liked the Google Docs bashing.
> > However, the article doesn't address some of the "details" of the issue
> > that are pretty important. What about areas like HPC? (E.g.,
> > supercomputers running scientific simulations.) What if you are a big
> > company -- do you have to run your own servers, or is it okay to farm
> > that out? If it is inefficient for everyone to have his own Web server,
> > is it okay for some people to use hosting? Can you use a Cpanel, or must
> > you run your own VM, in order to have freedom? Isn't SaaS one of the
> > most fundamental sources of profit for free software advocates, next to
> > tech support, custom software, and package maintenance?
> >
> > Again, I agree with the concerns, but I'm not clear on how these issues
> > are supposed to be worked out in the real world.
>
> It seems the answer to "how they're worked out" depend upon what service is
> being used, and what you would use locally as a substitute. Here's my example:
>
> We have a school of gymnastics. For class management, family/student data, and
> billing we are using www.thestudiodirector.com today. We have tried two other
> services before this one, each failing to meet a need or more expensive than
> we desired.
>
> Before signing up with this latest one I read their privacy policy:
> https://www.thestudiodirector.com/privacypolicy.htm and there were points
> which bothered me about it. However, we need this service working now. Not
> having anything to handle this for July and August (when we started a new
> schedule of classes and got a good number of new students) means (a) we have
> students written into class rosters by hand on paper, and (b) we don't know
> who owes us how much money, who is behind, etc. Therefore, we don't even know
> our expected monthly income.
>
> What we need, afaict, is a relational database management system (RDBMS).
> There is MySQL, and as I'm learning more, that seems to be what we should use
> long-term. But today, I need something in place, and how long would it take me
> to learn how to configure MySQL, input all our data, and have it working on a
> daily basis?
>
> There is a server on the LAN for my computer shop that could run MySQL, if
> that is indeed what we need to do that job. In the meantime, we need a working
> solution, so I'm inputting data into Studio Director online...very
> reluctantly.

  Do you know the nature of thestudiodirector's database system?

  If Studio Director enables exporting data as an .sql, csv or
  a tab-delimited file, than you will have the option of migrating
  into a dbms of your choice once you get the hang of MySQL.

  see http://dazzlepod.com/ip/72.3.236.91/
  search on 'mysql'

--
Tim