[aklug] Re: Google: If you send to Gmail you have 'No legitmate expectation of privacy'

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Wed Aug 14 2013 - 22:34:07 AKDT

On 08/14/2013 09:20 PM, Greg Schmitz wrote:
> On 8/14/13 9:08 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Sorry to hear you don't care about this Christopher. Do you check
> your machine from time to time for root kits? I do use encrypted
> email on a regular basis, though I would note that the FISA
> Court/Patriot Act allows NSA (and I assume other agencies too) to
> retain encrypted data forever rather than running afoul of the law for
> not purging unencrypted retained data by a given date. Actually, many
> of the "computer professionals," (including some very corporate types)
> as well as the public are concerned about this. Perhaps we travel in
> different circles Christopher?
>
> --greg

I think you misread me. I do care. My point was that if most of us cared
(which is evidently not the case) we would all encrypted our e-mails
outside of the e-mail hosting service, and thus it wouldn't matter what
e-mail hosting service we used. As to encrypted/unencrypted data, I
don't know much about the rules there, but I'd much rather the
government had to spend the next 100 years trying to decrypt my data,
then have the "assurance" that they will eventual delete my data in
unencrypted form.

I think it is great that someone is getting out the "Gmail is evil and
they don't care about your privacy" message. But if all that
accomplishes is somebody switches from Gmail to Hotmail, then we are
hardly any better off.

Maybe the public is concerned about this stuff, but it doesn't show in
any practical ways. Outside of this list, I can hardly name ten people
who even know what Tor and PGP are - none that actually use them. Ever
try to convince somebody to use Linux for the sake of "freedom, privacy,
and having complete control of your computer"? You /might/ get a bored,
but patient stare, at least until they find out it might not be
compatible with their favorite online flash game.

On the subject of rootkits: I honestly don't know how to check for a
rootkit, but if you have any insight to share on the subject, I'm all
ears. I don't know how I would have gotten one, unless it came
pre-installed on the PC.