[aklug] Re: Google: If you send to Gmail you have 'No legitmate expectation of privacy'

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Wed Aug 14 2013 - 21:20:11 AKDT

On 8/14/13 9:08 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> On 08/14/2013 02:36 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:
>>

>> Yours has much better quotes in it:
>>
>> It quotes Eric Schmidt, Google's executive chairman: "Google policy
>> is to
>> get right up to the creepy line and not cross it."
>>
>> :-) They want to just short of creepy... and they know how close they
>> are.
>> Funny stuff.
>>
>> --Arthur Corliss
>> Live Free or Die
>> ---------
>> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
>>

> Just have to mention: If we all actually cared about any of this
> (there is very little evidence of that) - we could send PGP encrypted
> e-mails to each other through the gmail service, i.e., using IMAP/POP,
> third party e-mail clients, and GnuPG. The e-mails wouldn't be
> readable by Google, the government, nor any other third parties, even
> though G-mail was providing the hosting service.
>
> If we actually cared... (*sigh*)
>
> Of course, using a third party e-mail client (Thunderbird, Kmail,
> Mutt, whatever) would mean giving up that (*thick sarcasm*) amazing
> G-mail Web interface.

Sorry to hear you don't care about this Christopher. Do you check your
machine from time to time for root kits? I do use encrypted email on a
regular basis, though I would note that the FISA Court/Patriot Act
allows NSA (and I assume other agencies too) to retain encrypted data
forever rather than running afoul of the law for not purging unencrypted
retained data by a given date. Actually, many of the "computer
professionals," (including some very corporate types) as well as the
public are concerned about this. Perhaps we travel in different circles
Christopher?

--greg