[aklug] Re: OFFTOPIC (sort of) android and ATT samsung S4 Active. And a question.

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu Aug 01 2013 - 13:25:53 AKDT

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Arthur Corliss
<acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:
>
> Todays news:
>> XKeyscore: NSA tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the
>> internet'
>> http://www.theguardian.com/**world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-**
>> secret-program-online-data<http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/31/nsa-top-secret-program-online-data>
>>
>> Live Free or Die!
>>

> Yeah, I saw that. And, of course, no one will remember this in the next
> election, and leave the same clowns in that allowed this to happen. We get
> what we deserve. :-P

Actually, I suspect that this would continue, regardless of who is elected.

Kissinger told Daniel Ellsberg that once you get inside and they can tell
you what's really going on, your whole perspective changes. This isn't a
long read, but it's really interesting, and has broad implications for all
sorts of security stuff (so it's not too-terribly off-topic, I guess?):

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/02/daniel-ellsberg-limitations-knowledge

I'm not advocating that it's good or an excuse for illegality or anything,
but I did find this tidbit to be quite thought-provoking.

Royce