[aklug] Re: OFFTOPIC (sort of) android and ATT samsung S4 Active. And a question.

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jul 31 2013 - 00:41:50 AKDT

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013, techno curmudgeon wrote:

> <paranoid rant>
> Being basically paranoid, especially when ATT is involved in anything, is
> this yet more ATT spyware attempting to phone home?
> </paranoid rant>
>
> And then I immediately moved up my plans to root and re-flash. Which is
> when I discovered the above.

Let me get this straight: You're using a "smart" phone running Google's
platform, and you're suspicious of the *carrier* ?! Really? It's okay that
Chrome, under the pretense of "safe browsing" is logging and storing every
page you view, and AT&T has the spyware? Really?? Google tracks your
movements across the web on every site that uses a Google API, service, or
web stats, and demands that you "opt out" of recording your history -- never
mind the leap of faith required to believe they actually delete that history
-- and AT&T is the bad guy here? Really???

Google, a company potentially more dangerous to the American pursuit of
liberty than the NSA itself, gets a clean pass?

Hell, if AT&T did surreptitiously record your activity at least you'd have
some legal avenue to pursue since it was done without your acknowledgement
and permission. Federal judges, however, are already on board with the
concept that you have no expectations of privacy for any information you
willingly share with a commercial entity, and that means Google has legal
authority to abuse the crap out of you fanboys.

I wasn't going to respond to this e-mail, but the hypocrisy and misplaced
anger, man, it's just mind blowing.

Disclaimer: yes, I work for AT&T. That said, I don't work for mobility and
I have no knowledge, direct or otherwise, of any illegal shenanigans being
perpetrated by AT&T. Feel free to dismiss the above as a mindless drone
protecting his overlords. Or take the time to think about it.

*All* commercial and government entities need to be watched like a hawk if
you give a damn about liberty. That includes AT&T and that sure as hell
includes Google.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die