[aklug] Re: Teredo via Miredo for IPv6 access behind a NAT

From: Greg Schmitz <greg@amipa.org>
Date: Thu Jul 11 2013 - 12:21:54 AKDT

On 7/9/13 10:50 AM, Erinn Looney-Triggs wrote:
> I keep meaning to mention this for all the IPv6 geeks out there. I have
> used sixxs via its AYIYA service but had never used teredo before.
> Certainly an interesting transition protocol for use behind a NAT, and
> an interesting using of the address space to encode information. Details
> here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teredo_tunneling
>
> Setting it up in Fedora (19) was dead simple. Install miredo-client and
> run it, though I would recommend switching your teredo server to
> something like Microsoft's (they are listed in the
> /etc/miredo/miredo.conf config file) instead of the experimental one.
>
> I haven't spent that much time using it but access to IPv6 only sites
> works. However, for me at least, dual stacked sites tend to prefer IPv4
> over IPv6 and I haven't figured out why.
>
> Anyway you can get miredo here if you don't have packages in your
> distribution:
> http://www.remlab.net/miredo/
>
> Perhaps someone with better access to things like real uplinks (GCI, MTA
> etc.) could set up a relay in Alaska? Most likely we end up getting
> routed through Hurrican Electrics relays.
>
> -Erinn

Microsoft?

"Microsoft has collaborated closely with US intelligence services to
allow users' communications to be intercepted, including helping the
National Security Agency to circumvent the company's own encryption,
according to top-secret documents obtained by the Guardian."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

--greg