[aklug] Re: too quiet...

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Wed Jun 12 2013 - 23:20:19 AKDT

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Greg Schmitz wrote:

> On 6/12/13 7:57 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> But was there anyone else who got a little uncomfortable when UofA
>> decided to transfer e-mail, calendar, documents, etc. entirely over to
>> Google? Or am I just the lone, backwoods hick who can't see how the cost
>> savings justifies complete loss of control?

[snip]

> It's not just UA - UC Berkeley did it to.

[snip]

Much of these decisions were made before the recent revelations made by
Edward Snowden. I'd be curious to see how many new email customers
Google signs on over the next 12 months.

Most organizations view email, and especially spam control as a relatively
high cost item. Naturally outsourcing seems very attractive, especially
to an organization that doesn't have an experienced System Admin staff.

Mike