[aklug] Re: too quiet...

From: Alan <alan@caruth.org>
Date: Tue Jun 11 2013 - 21:47:53 AKDT

I'll throw a couple into the fray -

Google Reader Replacement:
While searching for a replacement for Google Reader, I looked around at self-hosted solutions and ended up with Tiny Tiny RSS a few days back (http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki) - So far it is working great. In addition, there is an Android client that seems to work well and allows switching articles using the volume buttons, which is a feature I love in NewsRob, my old client.

Virtual/Dedicated Server Hosting:
What virtual hosting services are folks using/having good/bad luck with? I signed up a Dreamhost account awhile back and am digging it so far but wanted to look at the market and make sure I'm getting a good price/performance prior to migrating my domains and hosting.

Dreamhost's starting virtual server is $15/month for 300MB RAM making it a cheap place to experiment; they don't define CPU specifically, although they allow you to monitor load and adjust easily through their control panel. So far it has been good.

If I'm going to migrate fully, I'm also interested in dedicated servers but it has been a hard justification with how cheap basic web/email/hosting services are these days, which is why I decided to experiment with hosted virtual servers.

-Alan