[aklug] too quiet...

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Tue Jun 11 2013 - 21:06:12 AKDT

AKLUG list has been way too quiet lately. So here's a few things I've
run across lately that I found interesting:

1. Rhino <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Rhino>. It is a FOSS
Java program that provides a JavaScript interpreter.

In the past, I've always spoken quite poorly about JavaScript; however,
lately I've found out that it is more interesting than I thought.
Specifically, 1) it has functional programming aspects, and 2) it has a
prototype-based inheritance system.

2. Valyria Tear <http://valyriatear.blogspot.de/>. Fun, colorful RPG.
Still in development, but off to a great start.

3. Quick Lisp. <http://www.quicklisp.org/> Package management/loading
system compatible with CLISP. Still very simple at the stage, but I've
already found it easy to install and handy to use.

4. RMS's Lisp and Gnu Emacs story.
<https://www.gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.html> Interesting read about
Stallman's fascination with Lisp and related projects. Touches on the
Lisp Machines / Symbolics battle and how he and MIT got caught in the
middle. (I'm still trying to find source code for a FOSS Lisp operating
system, if anyone happens to have a link...)

--
frigidcode.com