[aklug] Re: [OT] Re: random bits vs random Hex

From: Doug Davey <doug.davey@gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 29 2013 - 15:04:09 AKDT

The point is that we are discussing how compression works, how binary is
displayed, and also bringing up some common mistakes when storing binary
values. Namely storing it in a silly format. Typical data storage schemes
for files will have unused space, and heavily repeated patterns, which make
compression worthwhile. Random strings do not. If you make a mistake with
storing your random number, and add a ton of space, you will see a
compression algorithm work on it, and bring it back down in size to the
actual data being represented.

And yes, James, sometimes you might get a random stream of bits that have
some patterns in it that will be compressible, but that should be a warning
sign that your stream might be less than random.

I hope that we all learned something today. Or at least some of us did.
Ok, fine, I hope that one person learned something today.