[aklug] Re: MongoDB Roundup (Wed 7pm Anchorage)

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Thu May 09 2013 - 09:38:12 AKDT

While you're at it.. check out http://redis.io/commands

Faster k/v store than MongoDB with a more limited set... Can INC/DEC keys
ala autovivification .

spencersr@monkeyboy:~$ redis-cli
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> INCRBY monkey 1
(integer) 1
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> GET monkey
"1"
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> INCRBY monkey 1
(integer) 2
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> GET monkey
"2"

redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HINCRBY chimps koko 1
(integer) 1
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HGET chimps koko
"1"
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HVALS chimps
1) "1"
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HINCRBY chimps cupcake 22
(integer) 22
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HVALS chimps
1) "1"
2) "22"
redis 127.0.0.1:6379> HKEYS chimps
1) "koko"
2) "cupcake"

I use the SETNX operator when I need a distributed lock manager as well as
the blocking (therefore atomic) list operators that start with BL for
handling work queues as well as time sequenced data.

Something that I really dig in Python land is called retools which allows
for fast and simple caching and locking in Python using Redis (distributed
or single node). I've played with the queueing module provided as well and
it's very simple compared to other worker solutions out there.

http://retools.readthedocs.org/en/latest/