[aklug] DRM: becoming part of the W3C standards

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sun Mar 24 2013 - 15:04:41 AKDT

I hope you guys will forgive a bit of activism, but my conscience is
telling me I should make at least some small effort to spread the word
about this:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/03/defend-open-web-keep-drm-out-w3c-standards

The World Wide Web consortium is moving to put Encrypted Media
Extensions (EME) into official Web standards. The technical details are
in the draft
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html>
but the basic idea is to extend the HTML API, so as to provide a
programming infrastructure for DRM systems.

quote:
--------
This proposal extends HTMLMediaElement providing APIs to control
playback of protected content.

The API supports use cases ranging from simple clear key decryption to
high value video (given an appropriate user agent implementation).
License/key exchange is controlled by the application, facilitating the
development of robust playback applications supporting a range of
content decryption and protection technologies.

This specification does not define a content protection or Digital
Rights Management system. Rather, it defines a common API that may be
used to discover, select and interact with such systems as well as with
simpler content encryption systems. Implementation of Digital Rights
Management is not required for compliance with this specification: only
the simple clear key system is required to be implemented as a common
baseline.
--------

In other words, the standard doesn't require DRM application to be used,
but it sets up the throne, rolls out the red carpet, and endorses the
technology.

If you happen to think this is a bad idea, you can add your name and
e-mail to a petition: (I have.)

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/no-drm-in-html5

--
frigidcode.com