[aklug] Google Chromebox

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 10 2013 - 00:16:35 AKST

I had said something about attempting an upgrade of the SSD in my i5
Chromebox a few weeks ago. I was somewhat delayed as the place I was
 getting the SSDs from ran out of stock just as I ordered mine. They
attempted to send me the Crucial version, but I turned that down as I had
seen reports that version didn't work. Seems that may not have made a
difference.

I did get my Kingston SSDNow 64 GB drive, but it doesn't work in my
Chromebox, nor my Chromebook for that matter.

As near as I can figure, there are a couple of slightly different variants.
I followed the instructions to the letter posted by someone who claimed to
have it working, but my end result was the same os the person attempting
this with the Crucial SSD. Endless cycling telling my image is damaged and
telling me to supply the recovery image.

The box also appears to have what appears to be a 2nd connection for
another SSD, but with the 64GB SSD in either slot, it's endless restore
cycles. I cannot seem get it up in developers mode unless it accepts the
image, so I am unable to do anything. Once I put it back the way it came
though, everything seems to work fine though. Nothing lost but the warranty
;)

In researching this, I found what appears to be a list of models. Mine is
the last in the list. I can find no way to tell which model works as the
person who posted how he got it working did not post the model ID. I don't
think it would do me any good anyway as I have what I have and have never
seen in the listings of ones for sale any sort of IDs anyway. Mine seems to
be a Model: Stumpy Yellow A-C 7520, in case anyone is interested.

If anyone else wants to try, I do have 2 Kingston SSDNow SMS100S2/64G we
could come to terms on. 1 is still sealed in its original package.

Jim G