[aklug] Re: Some pictures from a developers life

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Sat Mar 02 2013 - 16:32:30 AKST

On 03/02/2013 02:02 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:

> If I had work where the client didn't care what code I was
> writing, I might be writing in haskell. But if I had to hand-roll
> libs in haskell whose functionality was already available in
> python, then the dilemma would be : Do I charge the client for the
> extra time? Or do I eat it?

I respect that. It's the usual pragmatism/idealism dilemma we each have
to face on a daily basis.

On the other hand, it is dilemma that we have created for ourselves,
owing (IMO) to the failings of our academic institutions to chart a good
course. For example, your first four semesters of CS classes are
dedicated to making you C++ savvy. In CS202 you spend your first half of
the semester, not learning high level programming concepts, but trying
to master the nuances of the const keyword, and tricky class syntax.
Learning programming, using some simple FP language from the start, is a
much easier and more productive approach. (I've read other people
attesting to this.) It is very straightforward and natural to think of
programs as a composition of functions (read "A Gentle Introduction to
Common Lisp") which are composed of other functions or recurse back onto
themselves.

Anyway, I better get back to my homework!

--
frigidcode.com