[aklug] Re: Some pictures from a developers life

From: Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com>
Date: Sat Mar 02 2013 - 07:33:21 AKST

* Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com> [130302 07:11]:
> On 03/01/2013 03:46 PM, Shane Spencer wrote:
> > I'm fine with Django.. give me your job :)
> >

> Sorry... But if I gave this job up I'd have to go back to flipping
> burgers and handing soft drinks out a window. Or worse, I might have to
> do (*shudder*) Windows help desk support. I don't like Python, but at
> least I get to work on a Linux station.
>
> I'm hoping one day I'll be able to make a living using a /real/ computer
> programming language, like Lisp or Haskell. I've had a fair amount of
  They are no more real than python - I've used python for 10 years
  and the more I use it the better I like it. Jobs are real.

> experience with Haskell. Recently I started learning common lisp. I also
> have been playing around with Emacs lisp so I can program my operating
> sys... err, my text editor.
  I worked with common lisp for a while. I wouldn't recommend it for
  a development environment, but an academic environment. And the
  community is a bunch of snotty, opinionated neanderthals
  masquerading as eggheads.

  NOTE: No insult is intended towards neanderthals.

  If you're interested in lisp itself, I recommend newlisp over
  commonlisp. It is a working man's lisp, pragmatic in design and
  geared towards functional programming.

  I would also recommend rebol which I worked in for years and it is
  designed by one of the best programmers on the planet. Carl
  Sassenrath, who built the Amiga OS. It is now open source. It is a
  symbolic language (like lisp) and enormously flexible.

  And for logic programming scheme/racket with the logic programming
  plugin - called kanren. And get yerself "The Seasoned
  Schemer".

  Oh, but if you really want a job? Python, perl, PHP. <irony>Yes,
  there's even work for PHP programmers</irony>.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com