[aklug] Crunchbang 11 Waldorf

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 09:28:41 AKST

Happy Monday!

I made the move this weekend on my "high-end" machine (Dell Inspiron 14r
i3) from Crunchbang Statler to Waldorf (Squeeze to Wheezy.) All I can say
is "Bob like."

Just enough utilities to setup and forget, but little to no overhead. I am
finding myself drifting more to terminal apps and lately even some bash
scripts. One recent example was a script using gpg to encrypt/decrypt
files-made it executable then pointed Thunars custom actions towards it.
Right click encryption. Easy. Another was a script to convert pdf to html
so I can view it with elinks. The same ease (mixed success because it sends
the html to home...sometimes. It's still fun to figure things out however.)

I especially appreciate the community. Some have created
scripts<http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=188514%23p188514#p188514/>to
strip #! down and turn it into fast Sid box while others even got
Netflix <http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23958> streaming to
work. And everything in between. Just outstanding. I have virtualbox on the
dell because I want to tweak a post-install script before installing on the
netbook. And just for fun-I limited the ram to 256mb. The stock #!
functioned nicely.

One of the better
reviews<http://log.animeshb.in/2013/02/a-crunchbang-experience-year-later.html>echo
my sentiments. For the record, I gave Xubuntu 12.04 and my very first
Distro (Opensuse) in it's 12.3 flavor a fair shake-Crunchbang just fit the
bill for me. Based on Debian (no radical changes,) Minimal interface, no
crashes, and everything just works.

I'm going to switch my netbook over this week to Waldorf, and keep my 2
P3's x-less but upgrade to wheezy. Unless the allure of the snappy and
bleeding edge Sid cannot be resisted anymore...

Then settle in for a long and stable computing experience. :) I highly
recommend this distro.

--
ΨΦ! μ~πζ≈∞Ωא
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"