[aklug] OpenRISC

From: Christopher Howard <christopher.howard@frigidcode.com>
Date: Mon Feb 11 2013 - 05:22:12 AKST

I was curious -- any of you guys heard of OpenRISC?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRISC

I only just read about it while I was working through Slashdot comments.
Some commenter was saying that, in a way, developing FOSS operating
systems for x86 and x86_64 is inconsistent with FOSS principles, because
only Intel and AMD can produces CPUs for those architectures (because of
the patents they own). But anyone with the time and resources could
produce an OpenRISC chip. Sounds like a great idea.

--
frigidcode.com