[aklug] Re: Recommended MDA and Webmail interface to replace Gmail

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2013 - 15:17:11 AKST

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013, Damien Hull wrote:

> My big problem was resources and time. I tried my best to be cheap. That's
> not a good idea when you're trying to setup an email server.

Yes and no. SMTP was built to be fairly robust as long as you have
secondard MX hosts. Hardware is cheap w/software RAID. Not a big deal.
E-mail is pretty much a lossy medium, anyway, with the endless problems that
crop up from time to time w/filters, RBLs, and so on.

> The problem I have now is matching the features i get from gmail. I liked
> zabbix and all the features it had. I would consider going back to that if
> it didn't crash so much.

Admin'ing a box gets a lot more complicated if you're trying to host some
kind of groupware web interface. The security vectors alone make me avoid
that side of the house.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die