[aklug] Re: Recommended MDA and Webmail interface to replace Gmail

From: adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2013 - 12:40:55 AKST

On 01/16/2013 12:17 PM, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Damien Hull wrote:
>
>> I totally agree. I thought it would be cool to say I run my own mail
>> server. It was more work than I thought it would be. Wasn't very
>> reliable either. Again, not enough resources.
>> I use google for my email.
>
> I've been running my own mail services for a decade and a half. I'm not
> sure what the big deal is against it. It's not that complicated.

I'll agree with Arthur about how it's not complicated. Nor is it
particularly expensive to have hardware capable of hosting mail.
The only drag with it is if there's a problem with the server (bad disk,
etc) but you were planning on going fishing, or something else. Then
you're torn between fun, and having email.

FWIW, I host my mail on a server at work, which already hosts email.
But, I use my domain as a guinea pig, so I'm beta-testing changes I want
to implement server-wide.

--
Adam